Friday, January 12, 2007

Becks heads US invasion

Here's the link: The Sun Online - Football: Becks heads US invasion

Now the anecdote. True story. Trav, or maybe it was Eugene (anyhow) gave me a DC United t-shirt as a gift before I went to study in London. I wore it all the time, normally without comment. Once, at a "rave" (can London raves be like a Rice party... old teens standing around a half-empty dance floor ignoring the lights and music and the EANABS? They can!) a really short girl walked up to me and said, "What the hell is that?"

"It's my DC United t-shirt"

"Ok... is that like a fake team?"

"No..."

The girl went back to ignoring the people she knew.


Story #2: My comment about Team USA

I once compared them unfavorably to the reserve squad for the East LLagollen One-Legged FC. I then demonstrated how "The Hoppers" could beat the US 5-0.

Story #3 (short): The LA Kings

Didn't become great with the Great One.


What is your point?

My point is that Beckham's move will raise interest in the MLS, but that interest will all come from Europe, particularly the UK. And when I say "interest" I mean derision.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants