Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Hooray for William Safire, what good sports he and his auto-reply agent are.


From : William Safire
Sent : Tuesday, March 23, 2004 11:10 PM
To : William Li
Subject : Re: In response to "On Phony Toughness"


At 06:12 PM 3/15/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> Dear Mr. Safire -
>
>In twenty-years of reading your remarks about the use of language in public discourse, I
>have never felt the need to respond - until today. Rather than speculate as to why this
>particular column evokes complaints from me, I will just state them. There are two.
>
>Like you, I wince to see the inclusion of a mid-sentence interjection in a quotation. Has the
>standard of journalism sunk so low that reporters and editors are no longer are able to use
>the ellipsis? Including quirks of speech like "um" and "you know" in quoted statements
>serves only one purpose: to make the speaker appear less intelligent.
>
>My second complaint is that you are too flippant when you dismiss Kerry's assertion that his
>opposition is "the most crooked... lying group I've ever seen." Why not accept this
>statement at face value? Kerry has seen many groups during his career, surely he has some
>opinion about which one he sees as the most crooked and lying.
>
>A final comment, not a complaint, is to express some surprise that you would take such
>personal umbrage over Kerry's comment. If Kerry feels as he says about the current
>president's supporters then presumably he believes that Nixon's organization was somehow
>less crooked and lying. That should be of some comfort to you.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>William Li
>Sugar Land, Texas
>
>
----------

Dear Reader:

As you can imagine, I’ve been swamped with e-mails responding to my column in recent months. I read them all, most assuredly, including yours. But I cannot begin to answer them individually or I would have no time left to write a column that delights, illuminates, stimulates or infuriates.
Ergo this automated response. (Curious how “automated” has replaced “automatic.” And why do I use “ergo” when “therefore” will do? )
Don’t take offense, and don’t stop writing. I’ll keep reading what you send me.

Sincerely,

William Safire


"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants