Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas from Hanslick Rebellion

Doing some last minute Christmas shopping at "Good Yarns" I ran into Mike Keaney, bassist for Hanslick Rebellion. First off, treat yourself to some streamaliciousness from their web site. I personally like their cover of "Pablo Picaso" which is a track from the Repo Man soundtrack that used to really crack me up.

(Burglars who read my blog who have figured out that I am visiting New York on vacation, please do not try to rob my house.)

Mike has played bass for about as long as I have known him. He used to really make the Hasting Youth Summer Theatre band thump. It's cool that he's still making music.

Nothing like seeing long lost friends at Christmastime, right?

I got a bit of this funny feeling at the high school reunion a few years back, and when I see people on friendster who I haven't seen in over a decade. Its amazing the unintended and sometime eclectic but nevertheless powerful affects that your friends have on you when you are growing up. On my side, I remember someone at the reunion talking about "Zeta Enterprises" which was the powerful conglomerate that I dreamed of forming from about seventh grade on.

So what about Mike Keaney? In college, the various different bands that I had anything to do with ("Free Beer", those guys in Notty, "Burnt Toast", any of those Friday night colaborations on the Jones PA with Clint and Spike, etc.) were all measured against Mike Keaney and the Hastings Youth Summer Theatre band. Memory being what it is, by the time I got to college, the relative greatness of the band equaled that of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. And I don't know that there were any recordings from those summers, so (for all I know) maybe they were as good as Floyd Pepper, Janice, Animal, Zoot, and the Doctor.

Anyway, great to see you Mike. Glad you are still doing music.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants