Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Expect the unexpected

The History Channel- 10 Days that Unexpectedly Changed America looks good but I already missed most of it and I don't care enough to Tivo it. Mostly I just want to grouse about "Expect the Unexpected"

First of all to give it the standard treatment:

If you expect something by definition it cannot be unexpected, this expression is merely a poetically imprecise statement of "More events may transpire than are within the scope of even the best forecasts or even previous experience, but one can become adept at quickly accommodating to the transpiring of rarely experienced or previously unexperienced events."

Boy howdy, that was tedious.

Normally I find paradoxical expressions delightful but "Expect the unexpected" is just so overused and idiotic. I think less of the History Channel for using it.

Now that's a funny expression. I don't often think of the History Channel to begin with. In fact, this blog post is about the most (which is more than more) that I've thought about the History Channel. I guess I don't know how to express myself. Let's Mulligan:

I think more of the History Channel for using it-- more bad things, that is.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants