Monday, July 03, 2006

Another vignette: Trying to get Dakota to go to sleep

DJ: Daddy, the fan woke me up. It was going [mimics fan]

Wm: That is a fairly good impersonation, Dakota. Now I would like for you to impersonate a bear in the winter and hibernate.

DJ: Daddy! Not all species of bear hibernate. Polar bears don't live in caves, they like winter and live where its cold.

Wm: Well ... I mean a brown bear that lives in a cave.

DJ: Okay, but before a bear hibernates, it likes to eat the skin of fish, and berries, and it eats a lot of food.

Wm: Dakota! Assume that this bear has already been on a feeding frenzy. Now it is time to slow down and go to sleep.

DJ: Its not really sleeping so much as slow motion. It has a special posture. I can't do it. I'll just show you with my hands. Pretend this hand is a bear...
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants