Sunday, July 23, 2006

My Little Hockey Player :)

No, not Jason, Dakota! She has been skating for over a year now, and about 2 months ago, the rink we go to sponsored a girls only learn about hockey event, featuring two members of the US womens' Olympic team, who of course brought their gold medals! Dakota got to use a stick to shoot some pucks, had her picture taken with the players and their medals (I need to scan it so you can see the look of awe on her face), and the rest was history.

Now every Sunday, for an hour, Dakota and I go to the rink for hockey. For half an hour, they practice skating with the sticks, getting up, sliding, falling down, curving turns, and other skating related skill work. Then, for the last half hour, they play little games. She has unbelieveable amounts of fun, and is always quite sweaty when she is finished, with a HUGE grin on her face.

Today, she wanted to stay to watch the "big boys" play (drop in for hockey players anywhere from middle school to adult it seemed). She enjoyed it for a few minutes, but I think she would have preferred to be out there herself.

She still figure skates two or more days a week. And she still waves at the Zamboni driver as he is cutting the ice. But she is now just a bit more fierce on the ice, a sight to behold.

That, and even with her on figure skates and me on hockey skates, I can never catch her at tag, and she is so fast that she can tease me about catching me, skating behind me for a long time, pretending to not be able to reach me, and then sneak around to the front and surprise me.

I just can't wait until both kids are old enough to be on the ice!
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants