Monday, June 01, 2009

Words of advice for young people

I had a different post here that I wrote last night as I was falling asleep. I didn't like it. So here's the new one.

"A journey of a thousand steps, starts with a thousand steps. Oh,then its pretty much over"

I was watching TV yesterday. The worlds largest man (1,032 lbs.) was the subject of a documentary about how they removed over 700 lbs from his body; mostly by surgery. He was from Houston. As was the worlds largest woman; over 900 lbs. And the world's heaviest teen, he wasn't all that heavy, but was he ever miserable! And the largest concentration of super morbidly obese people (over 560 lbs.)
I turned off the TV and took the kids to the pool and swam laps during adult swim.
Truthfully, I got much more exercise treading water next to Jason's floatie. By "treading water" I mean standing on my tiptoes in the pool, which with the Achilles is a really good exercise, just the right balance of support and resistance. I also packed my sneakers for work today, but I will likely work through lunch; as usual. Also the kids and I got ice cream from the ice cream man. And we had cookies for a dinner appetizer.

This is my idea of living large. I am like Wonko the sane, but more plain. I don't need a secret volcano lair, nor an army of robots; I can still be a supervillian, if someone wants to battle me in googles, armed with pillows. I can boil a mean pot of water. I can microwave too. My kids know how to Tivo, and they understand what I mean by "this is a tube of plenty." In my mind's eye, I see that my ear's nose is the liver of my soul, which was always middle-aged. And now I am too.
So now... this is it! This is my movie. And though I've seen this movie, I like it. I might channel surf a bit, but I'll keep flipping back.

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants