Friday, June 19, 2009

The Prince Charles Style

Here's the url: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/world/europe/19london.html

So I don't particularly like Prince Charles. He wrote a book in 94 saying how sad and miserable he was. Dude, you are the friggin' Prince of Wales, suck it up.

And I somewhat like contemporary architecture, although I like the newer stuff, which is challenging, and I believe will ultimate change, the sort of excess that lead to the hot mirror Trav describes here (I'm brushing my teeth right now, I'll add the link later [added]). But thinking about the Archis at Rice, and as much as I liked some of them personally (I am talking about you, Mike Woods.) Archis can be a bit muck. Prince Charles is right: England is not LA or Berlin. England should look like England. And... Archis, get over yourselves. None of you are Roarke (or whatever anti-Roarke is now en vouge for Archis) especially not you Frank Gheary. And aesthics are not ethics, no matter how often they get confused in US politics.

My viewpoint on this follows the same thinking about the new Yankee Stadium (and more or less every baseball stadium since Camden yards) which architecture and design critics tend to decry for not being cool enough.

Finally, I am not an English Consttitutional Law Proffesor, but if Prince Charles can't shoot his mouth off and say "this new building plan looks like a dung heap" then something is wrong.

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants