Monday, June 21, 2004

FTC faces reality about anti-spam provision

PC World says that Spammers Find More to Love in anti-spam Law but I think that misses the point.

Email is governed by an open standard, not a US Statute. But the technical specifics for RFC compliance is somewhat better. If Congress wants to fix email, they should find a way to promote a modification to RFC 821 that will be widely adopted.

Trav, before you get all libertarian on me, I should point out that its in the Constitution (Article I, Section 8) under "To promote the Progress of Science." If you want to argue that this merely sets up the Patent office, then I will need to get back to you after I take Con Law.

But back to my RFC 821 argument. This standard is outdated and needs to be replaced. Oh... Okay, that was all I had to say.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants