Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Bad grammar begs the question

Now and then I look back at old posts and see distracting grammatical errors. This could be a seperate thought about my posts tend to be stream of consciousness and that the omitted words (often verbs) or the correctly spelled but incorrectly used (e.g. when I say Please No instead of Please Note) or my mysterious use of punctuation makes an important comment about my thought process. But really... it says that I don't do a good enough job proofreading before I post (if I proofread at all) and its not charming when I do it, its distracting, as all bad grammar is distracting.

This gets to whether or not I should edit old posts. The answer is "Yes but I am too lazy to do it" but eventually bad grammar begs the question, "Why should I edit my blog and why should I continue to do this blog?"

Honestly, I can't think of that many good reasons to do this blog. The original main purpose was to to make posts that were more or less in direct response to what Travis posted, even if the connection to what he posted was less than clear. And in my own style, I've gotten very meta on the levels of parody. Clearly, however, at some point I just started blogging for the sake of blogging... more or less the reason why most people blog.

Well, that's just not good enough for me. Therefore, I am annoucing that I will eventually abandon this blog. When that happens I will do at least one and up to all and maybe exceeding all of the following:

1. "Reset" this blog to be blank and then it will be 3 of 4 2.0: Louren's Blog
2. "Reset" this blog and decide on a specific topic and then only blog about that topic. Top topics on my list at the moment would be:
a. Commuter Notes and Parables. I drive to work, I drive from work to school, and I drive from school to home. This is about 2.5 hours of driving every day. I have different thoughts about the nature of morality that occur during these times and these thoughts take the form of cartoon strips. I made a bunch of cartoons like this when I commuted to and from my job in New York and then I added some more to that collection when I was a senior at Rice. So this would be a good place to take the blog, althought I would probably change the URL
b. I have a private food blog that I'm not using. If I can get disciplined to start blogging what I eat then I think that would be of some personal benefit.
c. Something else that is both a narrower topic and more serious.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants