Monday, May 16, 2005

Can't Uninstall Windows Media Player 10

Microsoft Windows Media - Media Advice: Windows Media Player 10

Dances around the fact that you can't uninstall it. You can only make it less annoying. In fact, Windows Media Player is the best application for viewing Windows Media.

Nevertheless, there is a principal about which I am very annoyed. I spent the better part of six hours tonight uninstalling all of the annoying "fake-free" (in reality a trap to send information to advertisers or induce you to buy or waste your time or make your computer slow or otherwise just be bad and annoying) applications that invariably come with computers marketed to the home market. At work, we have imaging a computer down to about fifteen minutes, and nothing goes out on those machines which is nonsense.

"But you leave Win Media Player on the machines at work"

Shove it. I can't tweak my personal machine just the way I like it.

"You could always go linux"

Double shove it. I like Windows XP, I just don't want it bundled with Windows Media Player or with Microsoft Ham Sandwich. This is not to say that I
m taking the legal position that Microsoft doesn't have the right to bundle Microsoft Ham Sandwich. I will wait until I take Intellectual Property survey to give an opinion on the right but I can tell you right now that my opinion about just about any legal matter after taking a course on that matter usually becomes "It depends" or "It could go either way" but I'm not talking about the power or right. I'm just talking about bad marketing. Take a product that I like (Windows) add something I don't like (Media Player) make it mandatory that I have it and suddenly, I like your product and your brand less than I did before.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants