Thursday, November 24, 2005

Batman Begins to annoy me

So I arrived in Houston late last night and I get to the parking lot and my battery is dead and won't stay on after a jump unless I keep my foot on the gas, which I do... all the way home (poping into neutral to brake, but still very frightening) such that by the time my healthy jog to Sugar Land is done, the batter is charged... so I think, but on the way to work the car loses power and guess what? The transmission lines are also leaking. New Battery, New transmission lines, plus new fuel pump last week. Makes for a very bad week.

I blame the in-flight movie, which as you might infer from the title of this post is the snooze fest staring Christopher Bale and Liam Neison.

*Spoiler Alert*

Actually if its a spoiler to you that in a Batman movie... Batman wins... ... who am I kidding? You people are smart. Let's just move on.

So this movie is all about conquering fear, thus Rasch al ghoul and Scarecrow are the bad guys. At the end of the movie, Gordon lets Batman know that the sequel will feature the Joker.

The message here is: Once you conquer fear, the next obstacle is to conquer jokes.

These thoughts are rolling through my head as I am rolling in the fatwill-mobile, in neutral, downhill on the freeway, 70 mhp, one foot on each pedal, lights flickering/threatening to die, me exhausted from my trip (oh and from food poisoning) and I'm repeating "why not just use safe clear?"

"William, people who drive stick, often have two feet on the two pedals and often put the car in neutral. What do you want, a medal? For goodness sakes, it wasn't that dangerous, although it probably was bad for the car."

Anyone who's ever driven with me driving stick understands what a terrifying experience is.

So the car gets home and you'd think, that it must be just desserts that I ruptured the automatic transmission fluid hose.. but its not. It's Batman.


I got a song to sing about Batman
Sha na na na na na na na
Batman!


Finally, what's up with D.C. Comics hating Princeton University. Bruce Wayne is a dropout after sophmore year (talk about sophmore slump) and Bruce Banner is a researcher from Princeton (that might have only been in the live-action series staring Bill Bixby) By the way, did anyone think it was incredibly sad the way Brandon Cruz was the only person who tried hard to raise money for Bill Bixby? For those of you who don't know Brandon Cruz was Eddie Corbett in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" for a while, he was also the singer for the Dead Kennedys (although I'm sorry, but its not the Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra!) and if you never thought it was possible for a punk to be sad without being emo (which isn't punk, I don't know what you call it... oh yeah... you call it emo) then watch the incredibly uncomfortable spectacle of a grown man's heart breaking in public as his effort to save the life of his TV dad is chronicled by TV entertainment news magazines.


As Batman Begins to annoy me, the captain comes on the overhead to announce our descent into Houston.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants