Saturday, January 21, 2006

The guy who beat me like a drum proves Adam Smith.

When I was in 11th grade, for whatever reason, I decided to run for Vice-Prsident of the school. I didn't really want to be in the student government, but I wanted to run the campaign of my friend (who was the presidential candidate). NITPIE as Louren so brilliantly put it. Running a publicity campaign is more than strategizing. It takes a lot of feet on the ground tactical manuever. My former wrestling partner did this brilliantly. He ran his own campaign -- he got real with what people did and did not like about him as president of the school. He played up the positive and addressed the negative in a candid way. I still remember his speach at the school assembly (which is the main venue for getting out your message) in which he transformed an experience of getting thrown in detention by the dean into a "Can you believe the nonsense we have to put up with?" moment, followed by a ridiculous promise to have a homecoming parade with floats (our high school had less than 300 students) which he somehow managed to keep. Anyhow, he obviously won by a landslide.

Anyway, he's still doing the marketing as punk-rock thing with Brand Marketers a Non-Traditional Marketing and Advertising Firm

[edit] Jan 25: That's interesting. This whole post is one where I had decided at the last moment to save as a draft, but my browser crashed. I guess that when blogspot recovered from the outtage, it "restored" this post. [back to the post]

My point, Trav is that Adam Smith is right. Some people are able to infect culture for fun and profit, but I'm not one of them.

I can, however, read through a contract and indentify risk. And I'm am currently working my way through the Federal Tax Code, and the accompanying regulations, and its the best thing ever. So I guess that means the invisible hand scored two more bull's eyes.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants