Friday, September 12, 2008

[Double Feature] Gettin Psyched for Hurricane Ike / The '08 Election

THIS IS TWO POSTS IN ONE!

FIRST POST



Check it out: http://www.khou.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=12075&section=news

It's a simulation, see? Galveston will be totally underwater!

I was going to post another of the KHOU slide shows as humorous juxtaposition, but I decided it was in bad taste.

Anyhow, Harris County Officials told most people to hunker down, and we are further inland than Harris County, so we are hunkered down. Texan's take hunkering down on their homestead very seriously.

For example, here is a conversation that I had at the Kroeger yesterday (only slight artistic license taken).

INT. Grocery Store
ME staring in bemusement at the empty shelves of Dinty Moore.

SOME GUY [loudly to no one in particular]

I really hope there is a big event to justify stores being out of everything, I couldn't even get more bullets at Academy Sports.
ME

Oh my God! What kind of Texans have we become to be out of bullets? Everyone should always have enough ammo to defend their house from, at minimum, an uprising of an army of the undead!
BYSTANDER snickers.
SOME GUY

Well... no, I mean, I have plenty of ammo, but I just want to be sure. Like if I need to have my little brother reload the other gun while I'm emptying a clip and then toss it to me.
ME

Listen, if you are really worried about conserving rounds, don't fire any warning shots.
SOME GUY

Oh no, there won't be no warning shots. But I've only got about a dozen boxes for my .45, you never know what could happen
ME

Hey! One bullet one kill!
SOME GUY

You're right... Maybe I should get some more beer.
ME

Now you're talking sense, stay dry.


SECOND POST




Palindromes, get it?
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants