Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Thoughts About Thanksgiving (reprint)

The following was originally published in 1981 for Ms. Edelstein's first grade class. I suppose that makes it property of the Yonkers School System or perhaps its dedicated to the public domain because
its academic writing. Anyhow, its the sort of thing only your mom will keep:

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THANKSGIVING
A long, long time in England there were Pilgrims. But they were not happy. They had no freedom. So they sailed across the Atlantic Ocean and they landed on Cape Cod thanks to the Mayflower. Some people, were still alive after the winter. They found Squanto. They had a party and the Indians got drunk and had the party for three days.

William
-----------------------------------------------
The point is not lost on me that if I were a first grader today, writing an essay about death and drunkenness would draw a big fat "letter home to Mom". I wonder how my mom would have reacted. No, I don't: she would have told the teacher to do her job and stop bothering her. She would have also given some sort of lecture about academic freedom.
--
Sent from my mobile device




"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants