Friday, April 02, 2004

Dude-



Remember when Daddy Warbucks played The Pope in a made for TV movie?

Well, I do. All I can remember about the movie - and therefore the only thing I can think about whenever I hear about the Pope - is that we couldn't find red socks when he was being made a Cardinal. He and his driver went all around Rome in a panic. Finally Karol Wojtyla had to settle on black socks. He felt bad about it, looking around the room at all the red socks until he saw another guy - also a Cardinal - black socks. The other guy shots him a conspiratorial wink and its all good.

Whenever I can't match my socks, either to my outfit or to each other (so just about every day), I am likely to be reminded of that anecdote about the Pope and think, "Well, if the Pope went to this important meeting with the wrong color socks, then I can too."

William, you are going to be made a Cardinal?

Yes. I'll be the greatest Cardinal ever.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants