Friday, August 19, 2005

No reason

Things that rhyme are often true
Elephants from Mars are blue.



There was a special class of rhyming wisdoms that I especially detested when growing up and that was the "No reason" rhymes that didn't rhyme either.

I think every kid hated "Children should be seen an not heard"

but I hated

"30 days hath September
April May June and Novemember
Except for February which has 29 on leap years which are years divisible by four otherwise it has 28 years and occasionally the international time-keeping community will add a second or a minute to the year so that time can match the rotation of the Earth."

Teachers would introduce this as "a good way to remember the months of the year"

I hated this one more than "i before e except after c or sounding like a such as in neighboor and weigh" as that one actually rhymes

Second of all -- hath? Speakth the modern tounge thou wench!

But the stunning the revelation was that my elementary school teachers didn't know why some months had thirty and some months had thirty one days --- except for the one teacher who did know and explained it --- That teacher was awesome.

I often compare the extreme difficultness of my wife's job as teacher versus my own teachers. I've come to two conclusions:

1. Teaching is hard.
2. Nevertheless, Rhyming is a totally lame cop-out solution to a "why?" question.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants