Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Dakota starts school...

Jason and I went to pick Dakota up from her first day of Kindergarten yesterday, and we were greeted by a pink fairy. Dakota had found the costume box (and according to the lady in charge, she had already tried every last one of them on) and thusly decided that extended care is a good thing (and Mommy not picking me up immediately after school is ok).

I asked her how her day went. What I learned from our various conversations:

Her teacher is, "nice, even though she wears glasses and is a bit bossy. But most teachers are bossy."

"They are?" I asked.

"Yes mommy. They have so many rules. Just like you and Oma."

Oh good. She is seeing the connection between having teachers in the family and going to school.

Also, any time she talks about a girl in her class, the child is referred to as a "person" (the person next to me at lunch was named...). However, if the child in question is a boy, he is referred to as a "boy." So does this take the old bumper sticker slogan (Feminism is the radical idea that women are people too) to a new level? Are only women (girls) people, and men (boys) are just men? I'm probably overanalyzing.

Also, PE has "lots of exercising" and she can't wait for music class tomorrow, and today in art she picked the picture she liked best from a book ("page 5 was my favorite, and then I saw page 10 and I changed my mind") and drew herself in that picture on her paper.

The highlight of her day seemed to be when she bought her own chocolate milk from the lunch lady all by herself. Definitley a step up from last year, when mommy would buy it and walk it out to the daycare. I know she felt so responsible carrying those 2 quarters in her pocket, and so proud that she didn't lose them. And she was so thrilled to show me the change that the lunch lady gave her back.

"two pennies!" (milk costs 48 cents?)

"um, no honey, those are dimes"

"dimes. Ok. I need to remember that"

I thought Dakota's Kindergarten experiences would rival (or at least somewhat resemble) those of Junie B. Jones. Yes, there are similarities, but so far, no "highjinks have ensued" after any of her escapades.

Well, at least as far as I know. Her folder has had a happy sticker each day...
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants