Tuesday, August 15, 2006

No Fear

I was afraid to leave school today. Because if I left school, then the day would be over, night would come, and with it the following day. And the children.

They always come, and there is nothing you can do about it. There is something magical and surreal about working in a school bereft of children. But clearly that is not what nature, God, or the school board intended (oh - to work without actually having anybody to teach...my room would be SO organized).

And without learners, my job would be rather pointless. That said, this being my first year in high school. I was feeling a bit nervous. Well, not actually nervous about anything in particular, just nervous that the nerves would kick in sometime about now. But they haven't. I have even decided I don't need my traditional night before school starts liquid dinner acoutrement. I am feeling very capable, and very at peace.

So I have realized that what I was afraid of was being afraid. I know, the only thing to fear is fear itself. But I guess in my anticipating the fear, I forgot to actually have it.

Strange. Now if I can just make it to bed on time (darn Dawson's Creek Marathon on the N), tomorrow will be a pice of cake. Well, maybe not a piece of cake, but definitely a slice of pie. My mom's beef and spinach pie. Meaty, hearty, and fun, but with ample spinachy nutritious goodness too, all wraped up in a Vegan crust.

With only a hint of cheese.

***
Here's to only a hint of pedagogical cheese tomorrow!
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants