Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Blogging Terry Aki

The title to this post is an inside joke. No one who reads this blog knows either Terry or Aki.

When I was in Vancouver, we had Yum Cha after the wedding and they brought out this delicious dish. It was these thin tender but crispy noodles, strips of chicken, big longitudinally sliced mushrooms. There was a light but flavorful broth and a hint of some sort of chinese herb.

"So, Aunt Carrie," my brother asks, "what is this?"

"Shoumeee"

"Wait... did you just say this was chicken chow maine?"

"Yes"

"No way."

"Way."

"Excellent. Party on Wayne"

"Party on Garth"

Everything after the "Yes" was a delirious episode of "My Favorite Martian" but as I sit here eating the "Terry Achey Chicken" recipe cooked up by the deli in our lobby, I like the flavor but the whole wheat dinner roll is throwing me for a loop. At least I can make it into a Sloppy Tso.

If I had a serious point here, it would be that yesterday's editorial by David Brooks of the bird-cage liner, is a contest between astounding rascism and pure name-calling. In any case, the cooks in our cafeteria show a deeper and more respectful understanding of Chinese culture and society than David Brooks, and Diet Dr. Pepper goes terrific with all meals. Dr. Pepper himself is an example of the spirit of individualism that Brooks espouses. I'm drinking it up right now. It really does taste more like regular. If I think of Dr. Pepper before the Lonely Hearts Club Band plays then I will experience more.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants