Friday, August 29, 2008

Jesus, ET, and now Steve Jobs

So Bloomberg ran this Obituary of Steve Jobs. For those of you reading this blog, you know how greatly relieved I am at the moment, but none of you know that a friend and coworker of my was killed in an auto-accident on Monday. This raises some big questions: What determines the limited time that we have? How can we be wise in spending our remaining time? Is there virtue in suffering? Why does nature have mercy but not pity? Why does Steve Jobs get to live again? Why can't they design a phone that slides all the way into my table PC for storage and management of the address book? Why isn't the tablet PC in the same form factor as a normal folio pad (with an 8.5 x 11 screen)? Is Gossip Girl really as bad as advertised? What should I have for lunch? My deorderant has no anti perspirant, does that mean that maybe I should just spray cologne into my armpits? Who would win in a fight batman or lupin? Are marshmellows better on smores or in hot cocoa?

This is not to make light of my friend's death, although we weren't that close, I think he would understand the point I am making and how I am making it: Big questions are hard to deal with, besides their basic nature of being unanswerable, they must necessarily be erodded by the fiobles of our biology and the insasiatable hunger of triviality.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants