Thursday, August 28, 2008

Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!

Hey, Daily News, I am stealing your bandwidth.
So, this is the latest craze going around the Internet. Why so much hype? Here's what I think:

1. Apple users are surprised to discover that human hands made their goods. Apple has done a gone job in convincing the world that sorcerers summon these sparkling jewels of industrial design from the beyond.

2. Factory workers are clean. I've notice that especially Democrats think that all factory workers are coal miners. Am I saying that Apple users are Democrats? I am. Yes, that means you Trav. You are a Democrat. You like higher taxes. And government regulation of everything. Especially what you think. You love that.

3. Factory workers are women. Even in this enlightened age, nerds still think of themselves as a "no girls allowed" club. Am I saying that Apple users are nerds. Check. I've previously posted about the relationship between ridiculous nostalgic chauvanism and computers ("The first computers were women" canonical rant). Dave is saying, "Wait a minute... I have an iPhone and I don't think about technology as being exclusively male, in fact, I don't think about gender at all when I think about technology." Oh yes you do, you think Ada Lovelace was a guy. And Brenda Laurel too. You put testosterone in your Nalgene of Mountain Dew before you take the GUYway to Mistersoft for a day of manly man computing. Then at lunch you don a bearskin pelt and viking helment and sing "Men! Men! Men! Men"

4. People make a lot of assumptions and love to generalize. Especially without facts and against credibility. That's why I eat Frosted Flakes, it makes you chairvoyant (the power to get someplace while sitting) and telegeneticist (the power to insult your distant descendants with obsolete theories of biodiversity). I, for one, think the iPhone factory girl is a hoax, a cover-up of the extra-terrestrial controlled zombie-lab which produced part man, part alien, part machine, part undead, iPhone factory workers to make iPhones by (a) growing them from a limb, (2) severing the iPhone limb with a lighting gun. (bew bew-bew, KAPOW!!!)

Well, enjoy your 15 minutes, iPhone factory girl. You might be one-in-a-million.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants