Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Jokes are like alchemy

I happily let Jason tell me cookie jokes for an hour last night as he tried to settle down his mind and go to sleep. Although dakota was able to tell ne funny joke before she could talk, its more of a struggle for the boy, who is more about physical comedy. But he had good material with cookies, and a good understanding of his audience. I admit most of the jokes are like:

"Why cookie oval? Cookie is oval and triangle and spinkles and I eat it!"

Which is what makes the few funny jokes seem so amazing.

Eric Hewett once wrote a really good paper for McEvilley comparing Yves Klein to the alchemists of yore, but to me a four year old actually putting together the elements of a funny joke (good delivery, timing, engaging material, unexpected punchline) is as surprising as transmuting lead into gold.

Wow that's quite a build up for this joke. It better not be like my last words joke (only funny because my grieving grandchild says the punchline). In any case, its bound to be a disappointment, aint it? It reminds me of Hendrix playing the national anthem at Woodstock. People rave and rave and rave about how original and surprising and incredible it was. In fact, the people who do that are all on the documentary because they were there. But the thing to remember is that (a) it was the last day of Woodstock so even if they weren't high, they were physically tired and thus emotionally worn out (b) people
act like only awesome acts got booked for woodstock. Untrue.  Hendrix followed Sha-Na-na. I mean... carp! Unless Hendrix decided to forego his guitar and also sing some doowop, he was going to be a hit that morning. But, I digress....

In fact there were three jokes that Jason told. Wouldn't it be just like me if in the middle of my sentence
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ok,  just kidding. In fact, I almost forget one of the jokes because I just woke up and this blog entry is part of hitting the snooze bar and doing my back stretches from the physical therapist and TELL THE DAMN
JOKE ALWEADY!!!!

"Why cookie go up ladder of fire fighter?"
I dunno, Jason, why?
"He craaa-zy!"

"What mean boss do that for; put cookie dough oven?"
I don't know Jason, why did he do that?
"Cookies fired! Ahhhhhh, Ha ha ha ha ha"

"Do you eat cookies Daddy?"
I dunno, Jason.
"Da-dee! You eat em!"
--
Sent from my mobile device
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants