Thursday, January 29, 2004

I can't believe that I had never heard about honku until Chelse mentioned it on the Hollerer. The 17 syllables of serenity seem especially appropriate during these Super Bowl days whereby the construction zone in front of our building is currently bereft of traffic cops because they have been pulled off to Reliant Stadium.

My own frustration at Houston Traffic being what it is, and necessity being the mother of invention, my own recipe for relief from overwhelming rage while driving is to sing "Comfortably Numb" like Pavarotti.

That's just corny, Will Li!

Maybe. But I saw an interview on Letterman where Pavarotti explained that he began his training in opera by being told to yell as loud as he could. From there the teacher had Pavarotti back it off until screaming became deep soul bellowing. This is how Pavarotti learned the limits of his control. I don't know if I've learned quite the same lesson, but I do make a terrible racket and then I laugh.

So do I sound like Roger Waters as a tenor?

That's exactly what I sound like.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants