Thursday, January 15, 2004

I don't like it when TV show synopsis sites don't have the plot synopsis but list the title of the show anyway. Case in point: HoloGuides's synopsis for "Frank Leaves For the Orient" doesn't even have an episode title list. It only had six episodes! C'mon, make an effort!

This was a great show, in a stupid way. I found Frank's desire to do something interesting with his life in the face of his own blandness to be very compelling. The myriad banalities that prevent him from just leaving his old life behind are obstacles that he sets for himself but blames on everyone else. It reminds me of that scene in The Hobbit where Gandalf is shooing Biblo Baggins out of his house without a hankerchief. What happens to us when Gandalf isn't there to shoo us out of our comfortable lives? How many of us hear the call and desire to respond but can't because we are stuck in our Hobbit holes fretting the laundry?

The dearth of information about the show and the fact that I only watched episodes 1, 2, and 4 leave me with nothing but questions. Does Frank ever leave? Does he get to Japan? Is he surprised to find that the Orient is exactly like the West?

Which brings me to my point: If I cared enough, I would have a TV show episode synopsis site that was in this format:

*Title of show
*Premise of show
*Summary of all the major plotlines for all the seasons
*detailed synopsis (~1000 words) of the LAST EPISODE ONLY
*Musing: "So what does that all mean?"

I wouldn't list a show if I didn't have all that information.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants