Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Can you imagine American politics taking this sort of rhetorical tone?

International News Article | Reuters.com: "This is a pledge I have taken -- that if Sonia Gandhi is sworn in as PM then on one side there will be her swearing-in and on the other side, my resignation letter," outgoing BJP health minister Sushma Swaraj told reporters after meeting Kalam to protest against Gandhi becoming prime minister.
'I will stop wearing colorful clothes, I will wear only white sari, I will shave my hair, sleep on the floor.'
Outside Gandhi's home, angry Congress supporters burned an effigy of Swaraj. "

Let's try it:

"I swear to you, if John Kerry takes the oath of office as President of the United States, then that same day I will quit Congress and go back to my pest exterminator business", Majority Whip Tom DeLay told onlookers after overturning a barbeque pit in grief at his Sugar Land office.

"I will stop wearing expensive suites, I will wear only coveralls, grow a mullet, and sleep in the Van with the pesticides."

Outside Kerry's stately Massachusettes mansion, dumbstruck Democrats thanked Mr. DeLay and pledged to think of him whenever they saw roaches.

Okay now the other way:

"I swear to you, if George Bush is re-elected as President of the United States, then that same day I will go back to Massachusetts and get really drunk", said Senator Edward Kennedy

Outside of the Presidents stately Texas ranch, unimpressed White House chief-of-staff Andrew Card said, "Yeah... and?"

My point is

We should ammend the Constitution and elect Austrian-born Arnold Schwarzenegger as president. He would be "fantastic."
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants