Friday, May 28, 2004

The Indy Factor

Trav once observed that I put huge stock in the role of individuals in History for shaping key events, as opposed to the "if there was a Hitler we would have created one" theory that I've always disparaged as total nonsense. But only recently did I realize that my view is actually influenced quite heavily by the young Indiana Jones chronicles.

My mom always hated this show for its historical inaccuracy (being a history teacher and all, its an understandable peeve) but I gave the show an "A+" for attempting to make history exciting. Therein is the base of my objection to Trav's observation: the narrative of history is not compelling if it is just dates and places. The people who made the choices that made the events are not fungible commodities; their personalities are not an asterisk. If we say it is, then we absolve all historical figures of responsibility (including present-day ones) and all that drives events are invisible social forces plus destiny. That's total nonsense.

By the way, Trav, I got your card today. Thanks!
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants