Friday, March 11, 2005

Home again, home again...

...jiggity jig.

Things I learned on my trip to Florida:

  • It was worth the added 100 miles of driving for my parents to move to where they now live. Convenient outlet shopping, fine dining, and the most beautiful beaches a stone's throw from their house. Growing up in Pensacola, I was brainwashed into thinking that we had the prettiest beaches, and I always thought that people who said the area just east of Destin was better were nuts. I was wrong. My parents now live less than 13 miles from Seaside, my favorite little faux town. Close enough to drive over for the day (or bike when the kids get a little bigger), and pretend I am having a luxurious vacation. Although what vacation isn't luxurious when you have mom and dad to cook for you (and pester you about what you might know about your brother's love life - thank God I am married and with two kids already. No more pestering for me! And thanks to the renewed short haircut, no hair length pestering either.)
  • Microsoft ME sucks. Ok, I knew this before, but using my parents' computer for a week re-crystalized that thought in my mind. The damn thing must've frozen up every time I used it. Oh, and AOL sucks (especially when checking hotmail - wonder why), and {*CENSORED*-WmLi) makes pretty clunky computers.
  • Traveling with kids on either end of the potty-training spectrum (infant, older child) is way better than traveling with a child who is still training. I am so glad that Dakota can hold it until I can find a bathroom!
  • Dakota is so very much William's child. After we returned home, she declared "Daddy, I am not going to sleep tonight, I am just going to play computer all night." I told him that sounded like him, and he replied that, yes, he would have done that, but he certainly wouldn't have told his parents about it beforehand. Glad she can use the computer, even more happy she hasn't figured out how to launch IE, and go to nickjr.com by herself yet.
  • I need to keep my house cleaner. My parents' house always looks so nice. They have stuff that can get cluttery, just like everybody else, but they are very good at keeping it in their closets. I resolve to work on this.
  • I need to eat healthier. I lost 4 lbs this week, just by eating healthy food, and not so much takeout. I have two kids, I need to act like a grown-up and cook more for my kids.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants