Thursday, February 02, 2006

The "Aqualung" game

I admit that I am still a bit freaked out by Jason's hospital visits. One moment he is happy, sleeping, being a good boy. The next he is in the emergency room. We've been less nervous parents with Jason than with Dakota, the whole 2nd child confidence thing. Still, raising Jason has been more humbling -- in its own way. Jason has such a different temperment. I did not do anything to influence that, just like, so the doctor tells me, nothing I could have done would have stopped Jason from getting sick, and (if it was a virus) nothing but Jason's own immune system would help him get better.

In the Greek tragedies, all of the heroes seem surprised by their undoing. Their Hubris is such that they don't perceive how small they really are next to greater forces like -- the World, Fate, and the Acts of God. When I say things like "How could he have gotten sick? This must be my fault." That's hubris. Jason's classmates don't stop sneezing and their rhinoviruses don't stop being airborne or landing on surfaces. I really have to get a grip.

So I'm thinking about this as I was driving home, when I started playing the Aqualung game. The first time I played the Aqualung game just sort of happened at Eugene's wedding. Billy Wilson was asking me about the hot tub in my hotel room (Eugene put Louren and I in a room with a hot tub) and I said

"SIT-ting in the the HOT-TUB"

just like

Sitting on a park bench

Which is funny, but in truth -- this line works for just about any place to sit:

Sitting on the sofa
Sitting in my office
Sitting in the move-ees


Which then becomes the basis of the game.. If I want to give a shout-out to the blog that this blog is a parody of I'd say:

How ya do ing Trav-is?

One of Kerry's patients might ask her:

What is the prog nose sis?

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

PRAC tice practice PRAC TICE

Pretty soon, you are hooked and just about every sentence you utter

comes out being lyrics

I always (as in never) have said there are two Jethros in the cultural consciousness that are a real blight: the other one was Bodine.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants