Monday, December 08, 2008

Triage Technique: Get Hurt

Kerry, this one is for you. So you know how its always difficult to get an accurate medical history from a patient because they are reticent to share? I have a recommendation: Get Hurt Nothing gets people sharing their history of illness, how they got hurt, when, what procedures they took, complications, meds perscribed, allergies, family history, etc. like a cast on your foot. In a different time in my life, this sort of oversharing would bother me. Something happened to me along the road that made me fascinated by the level of gory detail that people want to share with someone who is injured. People who never really liked me are suddenly far more comfortable to open up with these incredibly personal stories. And the people who do like you, do nice things for you and try to cheer you up. I noticed it today at work, but it was also in the airport and at the dr's last week and in general. That said, I am bushed from all the limping and hopping
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants