Thursday, January 22, 2009

Other super powered people in my comic book universe: The morally ambigious

3 of 4: Search results for super personnel

This is very meta, I'm blogging about a search result.


Yesterday morning as I was waking up I had a clear vision of the cover for "Captain Bombastic on the island of Retroactive Continuities" which would be a limited run series of thirteen comic in which the events of every issue would sharply contradict the previous issue, only to be explained away implausibly by minor characters, to the frustration of Captain Bombastic (and the readers). The only problem I had was that I couldn't decide if the Cap'n was a good guy or a bad guy, but then I recalled a conversation that I had recently with Dave about the strength and weaknesses of DC and Marvel (DC all the villans are interesting, all the heroes are ridiculous, Marvel has the opposite problem) and decided that Captain Bombastic was morally ambigious.

This lead me to think about (as I was driving home) the character called "William Li, for real not fictional" which would be a thinly vieled stand-in for me. In the comic, he would blog endlessly about himself as if he were really interesting and imagine epic stories in which he would be the protaganist. I was also thinking about calling this character Lilliam Wii.

Who else?

Dr. Obvious (umlaut over the "u") is the name of my character from MySims Kingdom and he's morally ambigious.

Friend with Benefit. The morally ambigious companion to Super Personel Person. Sidekick? Lover? Or merely an acquaintance? The problem with this character is that it combines the least funny elements of the "Seinfeld" pilot with "Its just Pat"

Colm Meaney. I'd have the license the name and likeness rights. Anyone know his agent?

The Joke Explainer. This would be a parody (and thus protected free speech) of the DC universe. The Joke Explainer would an arch-enemy of the Joker, but not an ally or enemy of Batman. The Joke Explainer would essentially ruin all of the Joker's evil mayhem by well... you get the idea. The trick to this character would be to never directly mention either Batman or the Joker. I shouldn't even be mentioning them now. I mean them in the historical sense or some other type of fair use. Can't sue me, called it. No backsies. Did you know that worked? Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.

Crabby Aunt Whatshername. "How is she related to me again? What's her deal anyway?" wonders Super Personnel Person. A jolt of fear flows through Super Personnel Person as the realization dawns, "I can't remember her name!" Crabby Aunt somehow can neutralize Super Personnel Person's power. Is it malevolence or is it just an unfortunate but natural reaction to being around someone so crabby and disagreeable?

Likely Supreme Court Justice Nominee What does she really believe? That last time she wrote an opinion of personal preference it was a negative review of "Blind Date" staring Bruce Willis and Kim Bassinger, that she wrote as a freshman for her college newspaper. "Senator, since being named to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, I have taken a second look at that film and now regret my youthful overexuberance. While I described the move as 'vapid' and dismissed the premise 'as if', I now see the movie for what it was in the context of the time and must conclude that this movie can be recognized as a production of TriStar pictures which some people have a variety of opinions about." Fox News Commentator "See this is what I mean! TriStar was merely the distributor of that film, why not just hand the keys to the terrorists now?" Pacifica Radio Commentator "Nominee claims to recognize the people have a variety of opinions, but her record on the bench shows her to be extremely judgmental. She seems to have an opinion on every case, although sometimes she only makes a ruling. Ruling! Outrageous. No more rules; we want Democracy, Now!"

Insomniac. Related to Lilliam Wii.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants