Saturday, October 15, 2005

(The ([adjective])) [Noun]

After glancing at just a few of BRAINWASHED'S CANONICAL GUIDE TO WEIRD BAND NAMES I've decided that I have a subjective stylistic preference that immediately colors my attitude towards bands as "good" or "sucks" based on whether they conform to the format:

(The ([adjective])) [Noun](and (The ([adjective])) [Noun])

For those of you who don't speak computer manual, I'll explain.

I like bands that are a single noune with our without the definite article. This includes:

U2
R.E.M. {William, that's an action - shove it}
Tool {William, You don't like Tool - ah, but I did have a good initial impression of them based on their name until their sound turned me off, get it?}
The Who
The Cure
The Go-Gos
The Doves
The Alarm

If bands have an adjective, they need to have the definite article or else my initial impression is that they are bad. This is, however, a rebuttable presumption such as is the case with

Modest Mouse {Although their sound has grown tiresome}
My Morning Jacket {Not the definite article}

Although:
The Happy Mondays


oh listen, this post has already got me tired with its tediousness.

Sly & The Family Stone

is a name using all of the rules of I like it

and

They Might Be Giants

is a name that breaks all the rules of I like it, except that its a movie so its actually:

"They Might Be Giants" and sound be considered as [noun]

Interestingly, following this "movie titles are [noun]" rule means that I would like band named The Iron Giant either for itself or as a reference to "The Iron Giant"




What set this all off?

Sentence two pf Rule 193.4(a) of Texas Rules of Civil Procedure where it stipulates "The party making the objection or asserting the privilege must present any evidence necessary to support the objection or privilege. The evidence may be testimony presented at the hearing or affidavits served at least seven days before the hearing or at such other reasonable time as the court permits."

{William, That's two sentences -- shove it}
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants