Sunday, October 16, 2005

Scary Fish is now Famous

So our good friend Dave Miller lived in a house with several other folks when he was in grad school at Rice. Some of the folks were still at Rice, most were not, but had been at one time. One of these housemates had a big scary fish named Oscar. It would just swim around and stare at you while you tried to play awesome board games. When that fish and housemate moved out, I thought I would never see it again (although I have seen the housemate and his sweet wife and adorable daughter every so often at Rice events).

So imagine my surprise when I am reading through the latest issue of Parents Magazine (I do have 2 kids, thankyouverymuch) and in an article titled "I Love My Pet", there is a picture of scary fish, and a precious little girl. I read the blurb from the mom:

"My husband owned Oscar the fish when we met. Ten years later, Oscar is still a part of our family. When our daughter, McKenna, was born, we used to take her to the living room when she was crying because she'd always stop fussing to watch Oscar. Now she's able to help her dad feed him, and each night before the goes to bed, she says, "'Nigh, Osser!"
-Jean Tanner; Houston Tex.

Yep, people you went to college with really do show up in national magazines.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants