Monday, October 03, 2005

Bush Nominates White House Counsel for O'Connor's seat

The press tends to regard Bush as a moron because they simply don't like him, but he's proven himself to be quite shrewd as evidenced by nominating former Texas Lottery Commission Chairwoman Harriet Miers to be an Associate Justice on the Supreme Court.

The Democrats on the Senate Judicary Committee, particularly Biden, embarassed themselves in questioning Roberts about matters that he could not address.

Biden: Judge Roberts, how are you going to rule on abortion? I want you to tell me so that I can hold you to it.

Roberts: As politely as possible, I will now explain to you that ever since John Jay, its been established that these sorts of Declaratory Judgements are not proper.

Biden: Bite me you ************! I want to be President so the media better take pictures of me yelling at you for not answering a question that you can't answer!

Roberts: Sticks and stones will break my bones but I'm not allowed to answer.

How did this bit of political theatre emerge? Bush named a Judge who was or was going to be hearing all sorts of cases that deal with topics that the Democrats care about and thus couldn't ethically answer any of those questions.

Miers tops this because she has been the attorney to Bush in his various different offical capacities for years. In other words, she's counseled the president as the president on legal issues having to do with important national and social policy.

Guess what happens when the Democrats ask about what advice Miers counseled to Bush?

Biden: So... what did you tell Bush to do about Karl Rove?

Miers: As politely as I can, Joe, I will assert Attorney-Client privelege.

Biden: @#*%@&*!!!


The biggest problem for Bush on this nomination is that he faces attack from the social conservatives who are so arrogant as to believe that they own the President. This too makes the Miers choice brilliant.

Bush to social conservatives: Miers is a close friend and trusted ally. If you don't support her, then you don't support me. Are you going to be disloyal to me? Now? When my poll numbers are down? Well, I guess that makes you a fair weather friend. Because I am weak, there is nothing I can do to force your support, but actions speak louder than words. You can be true to me or be a big fink.


Does that mean Bush's nomination will sail? Not if the rancor in the House over the majority leader is any indication of the mood in Washington.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants