Monday, April 13, 2009

Christof's Intermodality

I added Christof Spieler's Intermodlity blog to the blog list, and I removed some of the less relevant ones. (No offense Big Toney Coveney, you are still the man.)

I knew Christof for the version of the Thresher that I was finally cool enough to write for (ironically as an alumni and really because of Louren's coat-tails, but nevermind). First off, I am often critical of journalists, and newspapers in particular, for being unaware of being so poorly run, unprofessional, and irrelevant as to be an unintended self-parody. I have been especially critical of past Threshers (and many student-run Rice institutions) as being "playpen." Therefore, I have to give credit to that Thresher: Stoehller for being an excellent editor and journalist. There was a great writing staff that year (yes, Angelique, even you). They didn't bend when they revealed the SA President scandal, nor did they oversensationalize it. They also stayed within budget. They also managed to get enough ad revenue (good job, Louren). I say "have to" because I'm not being ironic when I praise Christof's work, which was pretty good then, but is really interesting now.

Houston transit policy wonkery may not be that relevant to you but its a powerful insight into a messy world. And anyhow, I'm interested in why the traffic is so terrible, and this is my blog... so there.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants