Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dakota Ekharts Barrack Obama

So it seems that Dakota is a much more ardent supporter of Obama than
either Louren or I. She is a woman with a mind of her own, which is
excellent until she starts making really terrible choices. That will
be the real test as a parent, but I guess it always is.

Anyhow it seems that Dakota likes Obama's style for being more
substantive, even if the substance goes over her head. She loved the
lecturing tone, that commanding but dispassionate weilding of power,
on display at Obama's press conference last night. I think she also
likes his youth and that Obama is a dad.

I have to say that I have never really been so enthusiastic about any
of our presidents in my living memory (current included) as Dakota is
about Obama. The cynic in me cringes a bit. Political leaders and
athletes as heroes are a heartbreak waiting to happen. They are always
seem to end up being exposed as empty or phony or both. Maybe this is
what Paul Simon meant by "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?" Except
for me, I am too young to pine for Joltin Joe, its Reggie Jackson
(far less a paragon of virtue) who I miss. "Where have you gone
Reggie Jackson? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you? What's the you
say Happy Madison? You casted him in a celebrity cameo in
'benchwarmers' hey hey hey! Hey hey hey."

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants