Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Its always fun to realize something that totally ruins a piece of music or art, more so if it really needs ruining. The canonical example of this is when Mr. Moore was told by Blunden's dad that all the poems by the original misery queen could be sung to the tune of the Texas State Song. Its canonical because I say so.

To my delight, I just realized that Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't the only one who can ruin T.S. Eliot by setting the "Old Possum" poems to music. Apparently the tune to Whitney Houston's first hit, Saving All My Love can be adapted as follows (this is just a flavor):

His coat's very shabby, he's thin as a rake,
And he suffers from palsy that makes his paw shake.
Yet he was, in his youth, quite the smartest of Cats -
But no longer a terror to mice and to rats.
So I'm saving all my cats, Yes I'm saving all my cats, yes my Jellical cats for youuuuuuuuuu!


Meow.

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants