Friday, October 29, 2004

I was going to write about how my blog is typical

Of the type of blog that people don't like. Then I Googled what types of blogs people don't like and it turns out I was wrong.

Here's what I thought:

1. My blog is random. It has no theme.
2. I am a big nobody. Scratch that. I'm just nobody. I could be somebody if my blog had a theme. I could be the official blog of "Cognitive Science majors who became IT managers and parents and who are going to law school at night." Then if anyone wanted to know what that sort of person was "like" they could read my blog.
3. I don't talk about cogntive science, or law, or parenting. At least not in any meaningful way.

Here is why I was going to say that is stupid.

1. People aren't shopping for blogs about particular themes. People are either finding their friend's blog and reading them or they are googling about "whatever" and if it happens to hit a blog, fine.
2. I do talk about Cognitive Science, and IT, and Law, and parenting. All of those things go into every blog entry one way or another.
3. In 1992, I was highly annoyed that nobodies got to post on usenet. Particularly when I was trying to be serious but then it quickly became clear that This was just a bunch of sophmoric nonsense

I was also going to say something like:

*When the internet is free, Caveat emptor.
*The internet is not free. You pay for access and advertisers pay for web sites.
*Advertisers pay for TV also.
*Help America, go buy something.

Then I was going to make a joke-- "Knock knock, who's there, blogsaremoreofthesame"






But it turns out that people are already saying stuff like this. So there is no point for this post.




Anyway, that is not why I put up this blog. I put up this Blog because I found the Elkridge Hollerer so funny that I wanted to counter-point it. It's a black background with white text. Mine in black on white. It's well organized. Mine is a mess. His allows comments. My comment is "get your own blog" or "Join me!"

Then after a while, I just think. "Hey that's a blog entry" and there you go.

Well... apparently a lot of blogs get going this way, so why not mine. That's rhetorical. A lot of blogs get started this way, and mine did too.

And so what if I'm not the famous William li. I've emailed the famous William Li and he is way cooler than me anyway.

If I have one regret, it is that in 1994, I did not scope out william@hotmail.com because I thought "Check email on the web? Who the hell would want to do that! The only way to read email is with elm"
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants