Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Why doesn't SONY market this great stuff in the US?

The VAIO type U is much closer to what I want than the dreadfully unoriginal tweener-rehash about which I have already complained

Sony made some different design decisions than I would have made based on their usage scenarios of "on the train", "in a box with a fox", "in love with a doofus". I have a tremendous respect for the industrial designers at Sony and conceed that they probably do know better than me what I would like out of my ultraportable.

For the record, the big changes are:

1. I don't really want it to have a dockable cell phone as much as I really want it to be walkman or portable TV that I can keep in my coat pocket.

2. When I am not in the office, I will hold the thing with two hands like a gameboy and punch in the secret pattern with my thumbs (Toward, Down, Down-Toward, Toward + A)

The big things that are exactly what I said I wanted was:

1. Better ergonomics for viewing, using, and not holding against your face
2. Nice pen interface
3. Good price
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants