Sunday, October 31, 2004

Sabado Gigante es la mas loca

So I wanted to see the candidate interviews on Sabado Gigante but an hour a fourty five minutes into a three hour show, there had been three musical guests, a number of things that I wasn't sure were skits or audience participation or some sort of contest, and then at least one tear-jerking interview... no sign of the candidates. So I switched over to the last Scooberang for October.

There are a number of places I can now take this. I'll choose "D" all of the above.

a) When I did the shift before the Navrang show, it would be both the 1-4 AM shift AND the 4-7 AM shift because they couldn't get four DJs. No one ever appreciated it. Maybe it was because I played all the Beatles, Pink Floyd, CCR, REM, U2, Greenday, ORB, Clash, King Missle, and Ramones in the stacks. But for god sakes, they had it on vinyl! They had records from the 60's that were probably worth something and when I played them on the air, they would disappear the next weekend. This is what I grew to really dislike about KTRU. They were alt-culture snobs. Obscure = good and the program manager = holier than thou. Well congratulations, Mr. alternative guy... urban outfitters is very popular now.

B) Remember when Scooby got elected president of Cartoon network? Don't blame me, I voted for Blossom. I would prefer president Scooby to either of the candidates, really. The only thing that would be dicey is secretary of defense Scrappy Doo. I mean... Scrappy might advocate an immature beligerent policy of pre-emptive war. Oh wait.... nevermind.

C) Watching hours and hours of Scooby Doo. I think about all the ranting that I have done on this topic. Really, I have nothing left to say about it. Scooby Doo... it is what it is. Its a monument to a mediocre idea that just kept going and going and going. People kept buying it, like Velveeta. And you know what? There are some times when nothing else will Doo.

D) Remember when Gillis kicked KTRU off the air and locked out the station? Scooby Doo would have handled it much better. Can you imagine if Gillis had be President of the United States and decided to lock out NBC because he didn't like them not pre-empting coverage of the pre-emptive war for more reruns of the 12 Ghosts of Scooby Doo?
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants