Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election nite is Autumn romantic

Election coverage happens at night in an atmosphere pregnant with anticpation.

I wrote one of the best papers of my Freshman year on the night they elected Clinton. Somebody made a drink that they called the "Bill Clinton" (which like all Rice drink concotions was vodka or everclear mixed with kool-aid, ice and then blended)

I wrote a paper about Book V of The Republic this is where college freshmen mistakenly believe that Socrates was advocating for women's rights. Actually, Socrates was trying to say that this idea was only slightly less ridiculous than the idea of a meritocracy where a Philosopher could be King. In truth, Socrates was a horrific misogynist... even by ancient standards. But I digress. The brunt of the paper was that even in the ""good and true City-State" where women could be educated and serve in the army, men could not give birth of nurse babies.

I can't remember what exactly was the point of that brilliant insight, but I remember making that very emphatically. I am not one given to hyperbole... but I made that point more emphatically that could possibly be made with all of the emotion of Lou Gehrig addressing Yankee Stadium, all the profundity of Neil Armstrong and all the style of the Louis Armstrong. The result had all the lucidity of NEIL GEHRIG
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants