Wednesday, November 17, 2004

What they've been doing behind the pawn shop and the liquor store

I just looked at my own blog and 3 of 4 for the first time in ages tonight (thanks to Kerry - the wife, not the other one). I was honored and humbled that my absence was noted.

But more, I was excited about the communal blogging going on at 3 of 4, hence me posting here. Actually, I was confused at first. I couldn't figure what in Sam Hill Jason was doing in William's belly, but then all became clear. Anyway, now that I understand, I find it exciting.

I'll not try to catch up on the last several months of my negligence; instead, I'll opt for obscure references (like "Ken Griffey's grotequely swollen jaw") (which, of course, is actually an obscure reference to Kent Garneau, and has nothing to do with the recent past). Suffice it to say, that I'm almost through semester 3 of 4 (a theme, tonight) at SAIS. I've been writing papers on the landless in Brazil and legal wrangling between Australia and East Timor over rights to the Timor seabed. In a nutshell:
  • Just because you have half a continent doesn't mean people won't fight and kill for land.
  • Just because the sea looks really big doesn't mean people won't fight over it.
For this, one needs to go to grad school.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants