Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Sour Grapes - Well it looks like voter intimidation has won the day

OHIO Election Night 2004 : Race Summary

Given the margin of victory, I imagine that the GOP could have won the state without resorting to cheating. "What? We were sending people to the polls to prevent cheating."

My left eye.

"You look like you are not a red-blooded American. You look too poor, or foreign, or minority to be a real voter. Show me your drivers license! Are you going to vote Republican? I am going to check to see if you voted in the Republican primary. If you did not then I am going to call Equifax and mess up your credit. If you own a small business, I will call all the regulatory agencies to bother you."

Anyway... this is what we can expect people will say as a means of contesting the result.

Also, Kerry is not Gore and the Democrats are no longer the same Democrats of 2000. I don't think that they will back down from a legal fight "for the good of the country"

On the other hand... the whole effort by the GOP to defeat the "Get out the vote" effort is equally ugly; even rascist, quite frankly.

So that's the choice - very ugly.

You know what would have worked much better? A really good candidate. Either party could have produced one that would have trounced the other one.

I had a long rant here about plausible positions that each candidate could have taken that was slightly more candid about what they really thought. I took it out. Instead I'll say if one or the other candidate had done it, this race would not had been close at all. If both candidates had done it, this race might have been close but at least the choice would have been clearer.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants