Sunday, June 11, 2006

Hot Dog, My Baby

Danny Katch and I composed the lyrics and music to "Hot Dog, My Baby" while on a leadership retreat in High School. The idea was that a catchy hook, some clever rhyming, and a love interest could make even the stupidest thing a poppy hit. We proceeded to bust out


She didn't like Chicken but she wasn't no vegetarian
She didn't believe in God but she wasn't not Unitarian
She liked Robin Hood but she didn't like Maid Marion
dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit ... Hot Dog"


The way it came out was Danny Katch said the first line, then I sang the first line and the first half of the second line. Danny finished the second line and started the third line. We finished the third line together. Then we got stumped and I said "well the you'd have something like dit dit dit dit dit dit dit dit ... Hot Dog"
to suggest a musical structure, but Danny didn't think we could improve on that. Three more verses came pretty easily, and that was that.

The song structure is fairly classic melody run following the minor pentatonic (i.e. the blues scale) in a I - IV - V progression

Nevertheless, there was something so hilarious and natural about it that the two girls who were there just rolled their eyes because they thought it was a "bit" which we had rehersed earlier. As if Danny ever needed to reherse!

Before I graduated, Danny and I were horried to find that Deadeye Dick had plagarized our concept. I suggested he sue and he suggested that I start the revolution. Actually, I'm making that last part up. Call it revisionist irony.

I forgot all about this song until, for some reason, I sang it for Noah. I think its his favorite song. Maybe it's just his favorite song by me. Noah, whenever you get married, I'll sing it at your rehersal dinner. Actually... maybe that's not such a great idea.

Anyhow, whenever Dakota is watching "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and I hear TMBG sing Hot Dog, I get a little freaked out.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants