Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Whoops, forgot to add the link

Cheers to Travis for lampooning my editing mistake of my recent post: 3 of 4: When we're Saying, "Hi, Dr. Bot". I added the link in the article so it makes more sense now.

Although I rarely explain the joke, my bad craftsmanship requires that I do.

The link in the title to When we're Saying, "Hi, Dr. Bot" is to "Why I read the boring news" because my title is an anagram of Trav's.

That's the parody.

Something that is often lost is that when I parody the EH, its not normally to make fun of Trav or his writing style but
(1) to make fun of culture at large and blogs in particular
(2) to play semiotic (or semi-idiotic) games
(3) to delight in being an absurd foil to Trav's seriousness or to confuse by being deadly serious to Trav's whimsy
(4) to model what parody should be rather than what it normally is, which is often both unoriginal and mean-spirited (i.e. Capt.Sarcasm's doofus side-kick), and rarely entertaining (e.g. the "Scary Movie" series).


This is a somewhat roundabout way of getting to a public apology. Trav is not a tool of The Man and I regret that by failing to add an href html tag, I gave that impression.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants