Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hubris: Normally I email these questions to E Hewett

But its interesting enough to blog about and get opinions from all the contributors. The question is: What is Hubris?

I was talking to my Mom about this last night. I was saying I had Hubris and she was saying that I was mistaking Hubris for wishful thinking. I think she is right but back to the question.

Hubris, says I, is the sin of Pride, by which a great man believes himself to have the power of the gods such that he can ignore fate or destiny or certain other uncrossable boundaries, except that a man is just a man and he really can't and so he eventually dooms himself

My mom says that Hubris is merely when your own strength becomes your undoing and that the greatness of Greek tragedy is from the irony of seeing a person's best weapon turned on the weilder.


So what do the rest of you think?

--

Geez, I just realized I never made E$ a contributor. I'll fix that one sec.

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants