Sunday, March 08, 2009

Metaphysical discussion with Dakota

Dakota just fell asleep. As she drfted off, her mind wandered towards
her aspirations.

"Dad, when I grow up. Do you think I could invent a time machine?"

"I don't see why not."

"I know all about the fabric of time"

"You do? Is it really a fabric?"

"No, its just seems like a fabric. Its really the space-time
continuum. And when you travel through it, you make a hole by, like,
curling the fabric around and everything is bunched up and then... bam!
you are someplace else in another time but nobody has a map yet so its
pretty unpredictable."

"Oh... I guess you do know all about it. Maybe you will invent a time machine."

"That would be great. I'd take a camera and get pictures of all the
presidents and then I could sell them to the government. I'd be like
'hey, this is what the president really looked like'"

"If you are going to see the past Presidents, why not stop Lincoln's assasination?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you know when its going to be and where, you could just go to
Ford's theatre and be like 'hey Mr President, watch out for that guy
coming up behind you, he's got a gun"

"Well, first of all, I'm not even sure if time travel is safe. I mean
what if I overshoot and end up with dinosaurs, or if the machine
breaks down as soon as I arrive, or if I try to do something and get
shot. "

"Inventors need to test out their devices before using it themselves"

"Good point, I will use a robot from my lab... I'll be sure to pick my
least favorite one"

"Good plan"

"But look, I don't think you can mess with the space time continuum.
If you did then maybe everything would be different. You might be
mommy. Mommy might be a boy. You might have been married to Marley's
dad. And also we would be living on another planet!"

"What? Why another planet?"

"I'm just saying! Look, you're missing the point, Dad! Those things
aren't real because that's not what happened. Just because you could
travel back in time doesn't mean you can change the past "

"Wow. I am going to put that on my blog."

"Ok. Well, goodnight Daddy"

"Goodnight, princess"

And with that she hugged her stuffed bear and conked out. Meanwhile,
I ponder her metaphysical proposition and am afraid.

--
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants