Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Duty of Care

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp hits yoda with a 2x4. Yoda then slips on a brown banana that Lancelot left on the floor. Discuss.

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp did not commit battery against Yoda. Yoda used the Jedi mind trick and therefore the act was not volitional. No intentional tort.

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp is not negligent for leaving the banana because he is not a person but a monkey.

Even if Lancelot Link Secret Chimp had been negligent, he owes no duty to Yoda because Yoda is not a person but a little green muppet-like dude.

Wha-what? I'm sorry Trav and Amy, I seem to have gone into a trance-like state of mumbling hypotheticals to myself...

I suppose the heresy is not that Star Wars got bad, but that to begin with, Star Wars merely rose to the level of pretty good, rather than singularly amazing or timeless. The other heresy is that my enduring uncritical enthusiasm for Star Wars was based more on the appearances of the Star Wars characters in children's television, in the public library, and in my youthful imagination, than any cinematic qualities that the first movie possesses. I guess that's not a heresy, just disillusionment. Oh well... at least the other cultural masterpieces of my youth are still universally admired: The Bee Gees Movie Based on Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and the KISS movie based on their supernatural powers (I can't even link that with a straight face).

Speaking of low-quality mass media churned out during the 1970's... Holy Primate Amy! I wish I had come up with something so prolific! The Man from U.N.C.L.E. seemed like an endless target of parody, but I don't know how you could keep that going for a whole freakin hour! They must of had a lot of bananas.

Boomerang will often show Tom And Jerry followed by the low-quality work of Hanna-Barbara from the 60's or 70's (like The Lancelot Link Secret Chimp Hour, which is not one of them but could have been) followed The Smurfs. It makes the Smurfs seem like the renaissance. Which would make the Snorks seem like the Rococco Puffs. I preferred Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter with Super Chrunchberries.
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants