Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I swear that I really am doing a lot of studying

Duty of Care. I've got that down fairly well - except the parts that I am going to ask the professor about this afternoon. Open book, open notes, and a curve = one harrowing experience.

On the one hand, you want to have as much stuff crammed into your head as possible. On the other hand, you want to have as much detailed stuff ready to hand as possible. On the other other hand you want to stay fluid and just let the natural inferences from the fact patterns write themselves, so you have to stay loose. On the other hand, you don't want to waste time writing crazy stuff that won't get points, one the other hand, you don't want to leave points behind when the better prepared classmates pick up the points.

Anyhow... another break:

Spitzer to Run for Governor of New York (washingtonpost.com)

Wow! I thought that people only grudgingly admired Spitzer. Although part of me (the part that takes stuff literally) was inspired to believe that I too could put white collar crooks in jail. Closer to reality is that had the news of what Spitzer did and the Enron prosections (which Spitzer had nothing to do with, I know, stay with me) at least, restored enough of my faith in legal justice. It was refreshing seeing a real prosecutors win through hard work rather than a TV prosecutor win through a closing argument that salvages an incredibly poorly presented case. (Gung-gung).

It's funny about law school: all of my professors have joked about "We haven't beat the notion of justice out of you yet?" They all, however, fervently believe that the best way to achieve justice is to be a better lawyer. This comes through in their lectures.

Out of ideas.. back to Duty of care

"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants