Thursday, December 23, 2004

Will is on vacation!

He is on his way home now. I am so excited. So is Dakota. She and I had a conversation yesterday. It went something like this.

"Mommy, Daddy is at work."

"That's right. And This week, Mommy is at home."

"Uh huh. And sometimes Mommy goes to work, and Daddy stays home with me."

"Yes, that happens sometimes too."

"And sometimes, Mommy and Daddy both have to go to work, and I get left at home all by myself, and I am so lonely."

"WHAT? That has never happened"

And she just looked at me. I am so glad this conversation happened at home, while we were snuggling before a nap, and not, say, in the grocery store, next to an eavesdropping CPS worker.

Kinda like the time when my two cousins (who each have their own kids now) were Christmas tree shopping with my aunt (their mom). They had left their jackets in the car, being the adolescent boys they were, and were getting bored. So they loudly whined to my aunt "but mommy, we need winter coats. Don't spend our coat money on a Christmas tree, again!"

Every person in the lot proceeded to glare at my aunt. She of course doesn't embarass easily, and just rolled her eyes and bought the tree. I am sure lots of people in Memphis were praying for that evil woman and her poor kids that night!

Incedentally, when my brother and I tried to pull something like that on our mom in the grocery store, when she wanted us to help her, saying something like "oh yeah, we'll call CPS on you" she simply smiled and replied "go ahead." We of course had no response to that.

Of course none of this has anything to do with the fact that Will is on vacation. But you know how good I am at telling cohesive linear narratives!
"Too late or still too soon too soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around, run around with a hole in your head 'til tomorrow."
-----They Might Be Giants